Experienced and knowledgeable Petroleum and Reservoir Engineer who is extremely astute in production analysis and optimization, with significant experience managing oil field developments in both carbonate and clastic reservoirs.
Proficient in performing reservoir characterization studies, monitoring reservoir and well performance, identifying performance deviations, and initiating optimization strategies to improve productivity.
History of successfully planning and executing workovers and stimulation treatments for active and inactive wells. Familiar with Wellflo, StimCADE, FracCADE, FracproPT, SPAM, Pansystem, and Oil Field Manager (OFM). Bilingual in English and Spanish.
PDVSA – Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A., Barinas, Venezuela 2009-2011; 2003-2007
Reservoir Monitoring Department, Barinas-Apure Basin
- Performed conventional reservoir studies including reservoir heterogeneity analysis, pressure-volume-temperature (PVT) validation and properties analysis, reservoir pressure and production performance analysis, estimation of reserves decline curve analysis, and production forecasting.
- Identified oil and gas wells in clastic and carbonate reservoirs needing remediation, workovers, repairs, and/or stimulation treatments, and provided technical support for these projects designed to enhance quality of output or improve production.
- Planned well interventions with operations and well services teams; prepared proposals, organized schedule of activities, and oversaw execution of projects.
- Developed and proposed optimization strategies to improve well productivity.
- Defined and established engineering processes to complete construction and technology installation in new and old wells.
- Managed projects such as commingled production, application of gels to control excess water production, and dual completion.
- Monitored existing well operations to detect and interpret anomalies such as excess water production or reduction of liquid output; prepared strategies and proposals to recover or improve oil or gas production.
- Reviewed and interpreted well operation statistics gathered during original completion and workovers and proposed strategies to reduce costs and optimize time.
- Researched and studied new technologies and methods related to well productivity optimization, including some new tools that were incorporated into PDVSA’s production.
- Participated in monthly meeting to review wells’ production and determine if each well was performing at maximum output rate; adjusted each well’s maximum production rate as needed because of mechanical issues such as increased water production, decline in reservoir pressure, wellbore damage, or mechanical communication problems.
- Developed annual production estimate for business unit.
- Prepared explanations for deviations in production from annual forecast and identified options to minimize future oil production losses.
- Served as industrial advisor for one graduate-level and six undergraduate research projects conducted in Barinas-Apure Basin area, explaining new methods to students.
- Trained newer co-workers in daily responsibilities and took on supervisory role in absence of manager
M.A., Energy and Earth Resources, University of Texas at Austin, 2009
Topic of Research: “Integrated Analysis to Optimize Hydraulic Fracturing Treatment Design in a Classic and Carbonate Formation in Torunos Hydrocarbon Field, Barinas-Apure Basin, Southwest Venezuela”
Advisors: Dr. Jon E. Olson, Dr. Christopher Jablonowski
Attended on Scholarship from PDVSA; GPA: 3.95/4.0
B.S., Petroleum Engineering, Universidad de Oriente, Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela, 2003
Thesis Topic: “Prospectivity Analysis for the MA-1, MA-2, MA-3 and MA-4 Sandstones in the Mingo Field, Venezuela”
Innovative Techniques of Hydraulic Fracturing and Matrix Stimulation. Schlumberger; Maracaibo, Venezuela; October 2011
Reservoir Engineering of Gas Reservoirs. Next; Anaco, Venezuela; March 2011
Hydraulic Fracturing. Baker; Caracas, Venezuela; May 2011
Perforating Analysis and Design. Schlumberger; Barinas, Venezuela; November 2010
Advanced OFM. PDVSA; Barinas, Venezuela; February 2010
Progressive Cavity Pumps. PDVSA; Barinas, Venezuela; October 2009
Practical Integration Between Logs and Well Tests. SAPIENCE; Margarita, Venezuela; January 2006
Well Stimulation. MannyRon Consoltures; Maracaibo, Venezuela; May 2005
Nodal Analysis and Multiphase Flow. ESP Oil; Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela; March 2005
Cement Logs Interpretation. PDVSA; Barinas, Venezuela; July 2004
Old Logs Interpretation. ESP Oil; El Tigrito, Venezuela; June 2004
Well Test Analysis. ESP Oil; Maracaibo, Venezuela; January 2004
PanSystem User. EPS; Barinas, Venezuela; October 2003
Integrated Reservoir Studies. PDVSA CIED; Maturin, Venezuela; August 2002
Society of Petroleum Engineers
Publication Mentor, Southern Venezuela Chapter, 2010-2011
Reviewed writing of papers submitted by chapter members.
Engineering Coalition of Venezuela (CIV)
G. Marquez, L. Castillo, “Integrated Analysis to Define the Operational Mud Weight Window and Wellbore Trajectory for a New Well in the Sipororo field.” Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., Internal Report, October 2011.
L. Castillo, Maybe Martinez, Cesar Jimenez, “Allocation of Casing Damage by Using an Ultrasonic Tool and Successful Remediation by Placing a Hybrid Squeeze Cement System in the Sinco Oil Field, South West Venezuela: Case History,” in Proceedings of SPE I South Americam Oil and Gas Conference, Venezuela, October 2011.
L. Bejarano, L. Castillo, “Application of Matrix Stimulation Tecniques and Hydraulic Fracturing to Improve Well in The Victoria Field, Apure Sub-Basin,” in Proceedings of SPE I South Americam Oil and Gas Conference, Venezuela, October 2011.
F. Misle, L. Castillo, “Optimization of Perforating Tecniques to Improve Well Productivity in the Sinco and Borburata Fields,” Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., Internal Report, May 2011.
L. Castillo, C. Jablonoswki, J. Olson, “Integrated Analysis to Optimize Hydraulic Fracturing Treatment Design in a Clastic and Carbonate Formation in Torunos Hydrocarbon Field, Barinas - Apure Basin, Southwest Venezuela.” in Proceedings of 2010 SPE Trinidad and Tobago Energy Resources Conference, Trinidad and Tobago, June 2010.
L. Gallardo, L. Castillo, “Principal Stresses Magnitude and Direction Estimation for the Borburata and Maporal Fields, Barinas-Apure Basin,” Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., Internal Report, June 2010.
Y. Chazón, F. Ramos, L. Castillo, “Reactive Matrix Stimulations in the O BOR-2 Reservoir,” Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., Internal Report, October 2010.
L. Castillo, M. Barroeta, “Operational/Technical Analysis to Diagnose and Recover Oil Production in Wells that are Mechanically Comunicated in the Barinas Sub-Basin,” in Proceedings of I Production and Optimization Workshop in Petroleos de Venzuela, S.A., November 2003.
L. Castillo, M. Aguilar, “Prospectivity Analysis for the MA-1, MA-2, MA-3 y MA-4 Sandstones in the Mingo Field, Venezuela,” Petroleos de Venezuela S.A., Internal Report, July 2003.